Friday, April 30, 2010

The Week Worth Waiting For..... Continued



Travel has been on my mind as much as a second chance at playing baseball for the past four years! Coincidentally the two have presented themselves in one opportunity. Although, since the arrival to Germany I have spent most of my time playing baseball, attempting to get back in "baseball shape," spending time on Skype with Erin, Family, and friends, as well as exploring a bit of my surroundings on foot and bike.

Growing up with my Mom owning a travel business had all the benefits of going places I could only dream of. Her successful travel agency did not mean tons of money, it meant she was rewarded opportunities to travel with her family as though we had millions to spend. First class international flights, Five-Star Hotels, classy restaurants, and all the amenities that come with those types of things. Yet with all of that I always credit my Mom and Dad for teaching and sharing new cultures, places and faces.

As a young adult thrown into the real world, I soon realized what a rare and fortunate upbringing I had with not only my wonderful family, but the places they took my siblings and I. Places like Europe and Hawaii were normal places for the Kosach family to travel to.
After college was over, and full-time jobs and grad school on the horizon, I had almost forgot how important traveling was to me. It soon came back when I realized I could create my own freedom with work, I met someone who wanted to travel as much as I do, (Erin) and of course I could afford to do it. All in all, after creating a decent income, paying for grad school with no debt, and saving enough money I ended up in Thailand at the New Year with Erin and friends from Reno. Just like that, my passion returned with 20 days half way across the world and the desire to inherit more knowledge about foreign places!

Since I met Erin I accomplished a few different things. I finished my Master's degree at St. Mary's, started a fall baseball program, traveled all over North America, California, and South East Asia, and now the baseball gig in Germany...... All with her right by my side.
In a way I never would have gotten a second chance at playing baseball without her in my life. We were in Portland when I met and tried out for Red and the Untouchables because Erin was moving to the area and I wanted to help her get settled in. The Untouchables skipper, Red, just happened to be in the same place as me one day when I went to visit Sper Dogg and the rest of the Portland Baseball Crew. (Sperr Dogg is the nickname for our college head coach, Chris Sperry) The rest is history.

Part of the reason I came to Germany was the fact we don't play games everyday and I would be rewarded the opportunity to travel on days off. Now that Erin is in town for a week, travel is on the agenda.

First stop of the week was Köln (Cologne). Saturday was a beautiful day so Danny, Erin and I jumped in our roommates car and headed south on the autobahn. We did not have time to venture far from Paderborn because we had two games the next day. The two hour drive to the largest city in Northern Germany seemed like a good day trip, and as it turned out it was an AWESOME day trip!

We had so much fun and the highlight of our day was the Dom (Pictured on the left) and the gorgeous weather walking alongside the Rhine River. When we arrived in the city around noon, we parked the car and walked to the city center near the Dom and the train station. Trying to find good beer and food was not hard as we found the Fruh brewery and tried a couple of different Kolch style beers that were pretty amazing.
We learned a little bit of Cologne's history and during World War II, 95% of Cologne was destroyed due to bombing from allied Western forces. The Dom is one of the only remaining structures in the city and even though it was hit 70 times by bombs and different air raids it still stands with as much amazement as its gothic architecture. It is definitely a sight to see. The city itself is one of the oldest in Europe with history as early as 38 BC.

We had a great time sampling all the local food, beer, and culture. We couldn't help but notice that there was not a outdoor table or seat available at any place near the town center or near the river.
Like anyone from the Northwest, the Northern Germans realize how awesome and rare sunshine and warm weather is in early Spring, and like us, they made sure they put their Saturday to good use by enjoying the sun. Cologne was an awesome city, and I have no doubt that we will go back soon.

1 comment: