Friday, April 2, 2010

The Arrival


The afternoon we arrived in Paderborn, our skipper (head coach) Stefon, a.k.a. "Red" showed us around the facilities and the baseball field. He welcomed us with a beer mixed with cola (The Germans LOVE to dis on American beer, but they are ok with a cola-beer mix....?) I had never had a one before, and don't really care to have another one considering Germany has over 30,000 different Beers..... No joke. Upon arrival I was informed that it would take you 93 years of drinking 1 different beer everyday to try all of Germany's different beers. So, I quickly told Red that I wanted to start trying the good stuff!
The workout facilities are pretty amazing. As Red showed us around, we learned we have been granted a full-time membership at the Ahorn, which is and indoor workout center complete with indoor batting cages, a track, 4 basketball courts, badminton, (which Danny and I love!) and three super large batting cages. The batting cages have to be three times the size of any cage I have ever seen and they are awesome! The entire facility itself is about the size of two football fields side by side. As we continued to explore our new area we hit up the grocery store, got supplies, headed home, and settled in. As I mentioned before we have a great setup. Wireless internet, nice comfy beds in our own rooms, and a gigantic big screen projector which is pretty amazing. We will be hooking our computer up to watch MLB.com when the season starts so we won't miss anything back home!
Later that night Red took Danny and I out for dinner and by the end of the night we were once again spent. The adrenaline shot of arriving at our new home had worn thin, and once our meals were complete we once again felt the jet-lag. At that point I had slept about 6 hours in the last 60 hours or so and I was done! On a side note, we live with three other guys, and people love to come over here and hang out, so there is a ton of noise. It kind of reminds me of my college days. This particular Saturday night lots of people were over and wanted to meet us and hang out, so once we got home we visited for a hour or so and got to bed! Finally, sleep was here! Even with all the noise, we slept hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment