Thursday, August 12, 2010

Amsterdam's Strange Ways

After we made our stop in Rethorn we started to make our way to Holland. In our procession was a map that had led us astray a few times did not help us in finding the correct route. At one point we completely lost our bearings and nobody could pinpoint our location. It was amusing and annoying to be this lost.   After passing the map back and forth and taking a bunch of heat from the peanut gallery in the back seat (Dad and Danny) I decided to get us on track and finally took the reigns. I was sitting in the front and began to navigate a way to the correct freeway as well as what appeared to be the fastest route to Amsterdam. We must have circled the same area a few times when we were leaving Rethorn and once we finally figured it out we all had a good laugh, although it was a bad joke for the rest of the night. "Now Nik, are you sure this is the way?!?!" My poor parents must have been exhausted! They had been driving for at least six hours before they got to our game, and then it took another five hours to make it to our final destination in Amsterdam. We arrived late at night, and the scenery was nothing short of spectacular. Even in the nighttime, Amsterdam was a scenic place lost somewhere in the midst of French architecture and German style. The bright white lights illuminated the streets as we passed through the area near the central train station and there were a ton of people out and about. Upon our hotel arrival we felt the fatigue from the day. When Danny and I got to our room, we were pleasantly surprised to see puffy white linen with six different pillows on each bed in a gorgeous room! My mom being the best travel agent in the world, hooked Danny and I up big time. Just as we had in Cologne earlier in the week, we had an awesome room with really comfortable beds. This was a treat compared to our usual beds at home. We also had access to the all you can eat and drink lounge which I assure you, aside from the great scenery and site-seeing, is the best part about any trip with Gail and Steve. My parents along with Danny and myself enjoyed every minute we had at the hotel.

We did spend most of our time out and about. It was great walking around Amsterdam. The streets were amazingly unique as there were more bikes than cars. The whole city reminded me of a creepy Tim Burton movie. The jagged architecture was great with buildings leaning over sidewalks, framework that seemed misfit, and combined with the canals that encompassed most streets, it was a sight I had never imagined. We got to see the Van Gough museum which was really awesome. He was a strange man with a very weird mind, however he was a fantastic painter. The strangest part of the day was the weather. It was the day before summer began and we were in beanies and warm clothing. However the weather was we all agreed that Amsterdam was still a "cool" city!

After walking around the city all day on Sunday and visiting the Van Gough museum we made it back to the hotel for cocktails and beer at the reception room and watched a bit of the world cup and talked. Later that night Danny and I explored a bit of everything that Amsterdam had to offer inside the realm of "normal tourism." We found a great Belgium beer bar with some VERY interesting characters. We were also curious about infamous Amsterdam so we had to make our way down to the "Red Light District." This area along one of Amsterdam's many canals is famous for "window shopping." I could not believe my eyes, and it felt so unreal to see people literally selling and displaying themselves through a glass window. Hundreds and hundreds of women were looking down onto the street waving and winking at every peculiar male that walked by gawking at them. It was for a lack of a better term, "Insane!" I didn't know how I felt about it until we walked away from the area. I had a hard time imagining anyone having to do that with their lives. It was disturbing, yet unbelievable interesting to see this type of trade in action.

The following day was my parents last day of their trip, as well as their 35th wedding anniversary. I have been with them the last few years on their anniversary and we always have a great time, but this day took the cake! We had a great day of sight-seeing and I started thinking to myself, wow, 35 years together!! As my father so eloquently put it, "35 years of bliss!!!"  Early in the day my mom really wanted to go to the house of Anne Franke, yet, as we approached the building the line was well over an hour long so we headed to our plan B, which was the Heineken Brewery and tour. It was a lot of fun learning about the beer making process with my parents, as well as following them around all the amusing spots the museum tour offered. We also got to sample a few beers which was a lot of fun.

The funniest part of the day was my mother listening to our story about the previous night. See, I get my sense of adventure from her and she said to me, "I think I'd like to see the Red Light District!" At first I didn't think much of it because, well, why wouldn't anyone want to see this area. Nobody is exposed, it is just women in windows, like a mannequin in a Lingerie store window. Then I thought about how I felt after I walked away. "Mom, I don't really feel like walking around a bunch of prostitutes with my parents on their 35th anniversary!" She thought for a second, and my father said. "Oh thank god you said something, I didn't want to be the one to say it." It was very funny.

As we got back to the hotel for our appetizers and cocktails in the reception area, we ate so much that my parents did not want to go to dinner. We had had such a great time and it was time for them to go to the room and pack, so I spent the last few hours with them in their room, enjoyed their company and the next morning Danny and I said goodbye to them at breakfast.

I have to be completely honest, as soon as they left I missed them both terribly. I saw them get in the cab from the inside of the reception area where Danny and I continued to eat our breakfast, and if I had been a little boy I would have run outside for one more hug and kiss from each of them.  I guess that is the price you pay when you respect two people so much, so, with that I am VERY thankful that I got to share my life in Europe with them. We had a blast! I know they were very happy and proud that I get this experience, and of course I will see them when I get home in a few months. I will never forget the trip we had together, and I am so grateful and thankful they made it here and back safely.

As tough as it is for me to say goodbye to the parents, I realize that I only have about two weeks until I see Erin again. She is coming out for 19 days and our plan is to travel as much as we can around Eastern and Western Europe. There is a lot to see, but more important, is the fact that we will be together. She will get a chance to see me play one last time, and then we are off. I can't wait!!!

1 comment: