Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Sweet and Low

What an incredible week! I cannot believe that Erin spent and entire week out here and it went by in the blink of an eye! Having her here was so amazing and in many regards I wish I had never let her leave. She left last Thursday morning out of Dusseldorf, which is the capitol city of North Rhine Westphalia.
What an awesome city! I had been to Dusseldorf with my family about 15 years ago. I remember that stay on the Rhine river very well because my parents let my sister and I try German beer for the first time. In the spirit of trying new things and tasting new cultures and no drinking age, Keri had her first beer (with the family) I remember taking a sip of hers because I was still too young to have even one. Still, like the days when I was a little boy and my dad would let me have a sip of his Budweiser, I took a giant gulp and savored every flavor of the German Kolch-style lager. At the end if the night, we could not find a bathroom anywhere. (not unusual in Europe) I remember my sister running for our hotel room as fast as she could once we got out if the cab. Something we still laugh about to this day.

The other memoriable part of Dusseldorf on that trip was baseball. We had been gone from the U.S. for a couple of weeks at this point and my father and I were going crazy without baseball in August! For some reason, we split up hotel rooms so the boys were together and the girls were together. (Unfortunatly my older brother missed out on this vacation due to work) Once we were in our room for the first time my dad and I turned on the tv only to find a Clevland Idians game on with German broadcasters! "What!?!?! Needless to say, my dad and I were in paradise for about an hour or two. Even though we didn't understand a word the broadcasters were saying it was baseball. I am sure that if we had known there was a professional league near by we would have checked it out. With that memory in mind my dad and I laugh now that I am playing here.

So, having been to Dusseldorf and getting back to the present, Erin and I headed to Dusseldorf on Wednesday afternoon. We checked into our hotel and headed outside to catch the local trans to Altstadt (oldtown). We jumped on the train which is very similar to the muni trains in Portland and San Francisco. After going the wrong way for two stops and ditching the fare station altogether, we arrived in Altstadt Duseldorf and started walking around.

Our European guide book/map was pretty useless so we decided to put it away and just walk around. It was amazing! Erin and I enjoyed every second together and were pleasantly surprised to find such a scenic metropolitan area with a feel of Chicago, Portland and San Francisco. The European architecture was really cool as well. As we found our way around we discovered the Rhine River and all of the people who were enjoying the beautiful sunshine on this Wednesday evening. It felt like a Friday because there were so many people out and about, yet Erin and I concluded that the weather was so nice that people would be crazy not to enjoy it. Especially in Northern Germany where days like this are few and far inbetween. The highlight of our evening was sitting on the dock of the river and the walkway overlooking the river while we talked about our future together, travel, friends and home in the states. We were also very entertained by many of the pedestrians, roller skaters, bikers, and characters that passed.
At one point a jogger ran by with a very familiar grey shirt with blue letters reading "Berkeley." Although I am and always will be a true Portland Pilot I still love Cal football. And in the spirit of both my brother and his wife Susie (both Cal Berkeley grads) I hollered a loud "Go Bears!" The jogger took about five steps as though he did not recognize what I said then he suddenly pulled an earphone out and turned to me showing me a big thumbs up while he kept going. Erin laughed and seconds later a biker was passing behind us and hit a tree. He had a bottle of Becks beer in his hand and was obviously waisted. Erin and I laughed cautiously, and another biker yelled at him and said, "Hey, don't drink and drive you idiot." It took the man a few moment to gather himself and we did not feel the need to help because he was clearly out of it and wanted no help. He left his spilled beer bottle behind and went on his way. Lastly, the rollerbladers and rollerskaters going by were hilarious and very flamboint. One guy was doing his best Brian Boytono impersonation as he pranced around the walkway trying to impress and catch the attention of other rollerskaters passing.

From the JJ Market in Bangkok, Thailand, to the dock of the Rhine River in Germany, Erin and I both agreed one of our favorite things to do together is "people watching."

We enjoyed the rest of the evening in the Burbon Street like area of Altstadt where bars and resturants where plentiful and many local Alt-Style beers were readily available in .25 liter glasses at their bierhaus. Apparently Dusseldorf has a nickname as "the worlds longest bar" due to this area. Dusseldorf was such an awesome high!

The next morning however was not.
Between the slight headache from our previous evening and reality setting in, Erin and I got up at 5 a.m. To send her back to Portland. In so many ways I wish I had the impulsive behavior to say "screw it," and keep her next to me. I can't imagine not having her now that she has shared this experience in Europe. We enjoyed every second we had together and the only thing we tiffed about was the emotion that we endure with seperation from one another. I feel so blessed, lucky, and now sad that she came and went. I am lucky I have my second love, baseball, to keep my mind ocupied. The one thing I realize and learned from my father is that it could be worse. The old Vietnam Vet seems to remind me that I could be overseas getting shot at in Afganistan or Iraq as opposed to playing ball in Europe. For that, I am thankful as well!
Erin departed and made it home safely. The drive back to Paderborn was quiet and lonley, and although I am having a great experience for the most part I realize I would much rather have these experiences with her by my side.
She made it hom saefly and we agreed that we did the responsible thing as she had work related things on the Friday she got back to Portland.
All in all, what a fabulous week, and Dusseldorf was by far my favorite day and city of the year! I will see Erin soon enough as she is heading back out here in July for a two week excursion of Europe during my two week break.


(Here is a little footage from Dusseldorf)

2 comments:

  1. What a sweet post Nik! I think it's wonderful that you and Erin found each other and really you have the rest of your lives to look forward to. It's hard to know that now but it will only get better :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Nik for the trip of a lifetime. I love you so so much. I cherish the memories we already have and look forward to many more to come.

    ReplyDelete